Monday, June 9, 2008

Am I 17 again?

There have been several times when I thought that I'd never live at home again. The first time of course was moving into my freshman dorm, but we all know that's a pipe dream. Of course you have to move back, you're a freshman. Then there was the summer I moved into an apartment with some friends and aquaintances. Definitely wasn't going to be moving home after that... but I did... for a year! Then I got married, and naturally felt that I would never live with my parents again... but, here I am: married, 24 and livin at home, husbandless!

It's not so bad and quite familiar but not somewhere I thought I'd be, but we're makin it work. JR and I have mastered long distance and although it sucks more now than ever, it's nothing that we can't survive.

Living at home after all these years is funny. You're still the kid, they're still the parents; however, there's comfort in it as well as it's all so familiar. They go to bed, I go online. We drink wine at night together. I have a credit card with their name on it so I can buy them groceries. We watch our shows at night together. It's nostalgic as well. Living at home reminds me of high school and college summers. Calling friends, waiting for people to show up on AIM and making plans in the old stompin' grounds. For now, it's easy and perhaps exactly where I need to be for the summer. Takin it easy so I can focus on getting the masters done, the job secured and a home found before my world gets flipped upside down again with MBA's, new jobs, new homes and perfect weather....
.... but I do miss my family. They'll be here soon!

e

No comments: